Skipping is one of the cheapest, most effective, fat burning workouts you can do. And it’s fun too. What’s stopping you?
Skipping has everything going for it. It’s the ultimate high intensity workout so it’s hardly a surprise that heaps of celebs name it as one of their favourite ways to keep fit.
So check out these 12 reasons to dust off the old skipping rope and give it a try.
1. The effort it takes to jump rope for 10 minutes is the equivalent of running a mile in eight minutes.
2. One hour of rope skipping will burn up to 1,300 calories.
3. According to the British Rope Skipping Association, 10 minutes of skipping can have the same health benefits as a 45-minute run.
4. Skipping is a full body workout which uses your abdominals to stabilise the body, legs for jumping, shoulders and arms for turning the rope.
5. Skipping is less jolting on your joints than running.
6. Once you’ve bought your rope, skipping is a zero-cost workout.
7. Skipping helps to improve heart rate and blood pressure.
8. It’s a good workout for all fitness levels as you can do it at a pace that suits you.
9. Skipping regularly improves flexibility.
10. It also aids your coordination and balance.
11. A regular skipping session improves muscle tone in both the lower and upper body.
12. Skipping is a weightbearing exercise so can help in improving bone density, thus helping stave off osteoporosis.