Examine your values. Do what’s important to you. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Get the leisure time you need to avoid burnout. Use goals for daily living.
Build yourself up. Have positive ‘self-talks.’ Discipline yourself not to overreact emotionally to stressful situations. Anticipate life change events and plan for them in advance if possible. Affirm your value.
- Learn to relax. Meditate. Listen to soothing music. Breathe deeply and block out the world twice a day for 15 minutes or so. Pace yourself and give yourself time to recharge.
- Exercise regularly. Three to four times a week for 30-60 minutes a session.
- Eat sensibly. Maintain your normal weight with a low-fat, high carbohydrate diet (or follow the most recent recommendations of health professionals).
- Avoid chemical solutions. Stop smoking. Avoid caffeine. Limit your alcohol and avoid other drugs.
- Take control of your life. Maintain a sense of humor.
- Delegate responsibility and combat perfectionism.
- Resist unreasonable demands on your time.
- Spend time with your family.
- Nurture your friendships and do things you enjoy.
- Always keep one foot in something comfortable. Live through your values.