Simple Steps for Kids or Adults to Learn how to Tight Rope Walk!
- Begin by stretching out and warming up your body.
- Standing in one place, practice standing on one foot.
- Keep your head up and arms out.
- Close one eye, then the other.
- Practice until you can balance with both eyes closed.
- Practice walking on the chalk/taped line, head up, arms out and flexible, keep weight on the ball of your feet, and keep legs slightly bent.
- If you begin to lose your balance, keep your head up, and try either going down to one knee, or lifting your back foot and adjusting in mid-air to balance yourself.
- Use a broom stick or umbrella to help you keep your balance.
- Practice turning around by turning your front foot when you step, then pivoting. “Step, then turn.” Keep your head up and eyes forward.
- When you have practiced on the chalk/taped line for a while, you can try walking on a slack-line, set up by an adult, or on a balance beam at a gym.
- See who can balance on one leg the longest.
- See who can walk the farthest on the line before they lose their balance. Try again with walking the fastest.
- to watch the video go to pbs circus