To view the original article click here
1. Based on retail statistics, about 3 per cent of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets.
2. About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year. This makes it the second largest seasonal card sending time of the year
3. If you’re single don’t despair. You can celebrate Singles Awareness Day (SAD) instead.
4. Many believe the X symbol became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn’t write their names signed in front of a witness with an X. The X was then kissed to show their sincerity.
5. In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”
6. Physicians of the 1800s commonly advised their patients to eat chocolate to calm their pining for lost love.
7. 220,000 is the average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year.